A VISION OF COMMUNITY
THAT HAS REMAINED STEADFAST FOR OVER A CENTURY.
Biltmore Farms is carrying forward a legacy of stewardship and
sustainability that began more than a century ago.
hen George Vanderbilt founded Biltmore Farms in 1897, he envisioned a dynamic, forward-thinking agricultural endeavor that would nurture and support many families across the region of Western North Carolina. With his interest in agriculture, forestry and sustainability, Vanderbilt introduced and implemented the most modern farming practices available at the time. He collaborated with some of the best minds in the field to establish the Biltmore School of Forestry, the first scientific school of forestry in the United States. Some 87,000 acres of woodlands preserved through the forestry school’s efforts became the foundation of what is now Pisgah National Forest.
Through the establishment of the Western North Carolina Development Association, Biltmore Farms led efforts to establish the WNC Farmer’s Market, the North Carolina Arboretum, the WNC Agricultural Center and the extension of Interstate 26 into Tennessee.
Today we continue to participate in local and regional initiatives to foster the health of the region and preserve the natural beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Biltmore Farms’ commitment to improving the quality of life in Western North Carolina spans more than a century, and we look forward to carrying this legacy forward for many more years to come.