Represents the hotel to the guest throughout all stages of the guest’s stay. Determines a guest’s reservation status and identifies how long the guest will stay. Helps guests complete registration cards and then assigns rooms accommodating special requests whenever possible. Verifies the guest’s method of payment and follows established credit-checking procedures. Works closely with the housekeeping department in keeping room status reports up to date and coordinated requests for maintenance and repair work. Maintains guest room key storage, and (maintains and supervises access to safe deposit boxes if applicable). Must be sales-minded. Presents options and alternatives to guests and offers assistance in making choices. Knows the location and types of available rooms as well as the activities and services of the property. Be flexible to work in others areas of the hotel if needed. Be available to work various shifts including weekends and holidays
Reports To: Front Office Manager/General Manager
Department: Front Office
Pay Status: Hourly
Location: DoubleTree Historic Biltmore Village
Duties and Responsibilities
- Registers guests and assigns rooms. Accommodates special requests whenever possible.
- Assists in pre-registration and blocking of rooms for reservations.
- Thoroughly understands and adheres to proper credit, check-cashing, and cash-handling policies and procedures.
- Knows room locations, types of rooms available, and room rates.
- Uses suggestive selling techniques to sell rooms and to promote other services of the hotel. (Knows amenities in rooms and features of the hotel.)
- Coordinates room status updates with the housekeeping department by notifying housekeeping of all checkouts, late checkouts, early check-ins, special requests, and part-day rooms.
- Takes same day reservations and future reservations. Knows cancellation procedures. Working knowledge of the reservations department.
- Knows how to use the front desk equipment. (computer, room key maker, credit card terminal, long distance computer, switchboard).
- Processes guest checkouts.
- Posts and files all charges to guest folios and master folios.
- Uses proper telephone etiquette.
- Uses proper mail, package, and message handling procedures.
- Reads the front desk log daily and including the days not here. Is aware of daily activities and meeting taking place in the hotel.
- Knows all safety and emergency procedures. Is aware of accident prevention policies.
- Reports any unusual occurrences or request to the General Manager and enters in the front desk log.
- Attends department meetings.
- Maintains the cleanliness and neatness of the front desk area.
- (Follows procedures for issuing and closing safe deposit boxes.)
- Understands that business demands sometimes make it necessary to move employees from their accustomed shift to other shifts.
- Complete tasks and assignments on the daily front desk checklist.
- Wears proper uniform and nametag at all times and maintains a professional image at all times.
High School graduate or equivalent. Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace. Must be able to speak and understand the primary language(s) used by guest who visit the workplace.
Previous hotel-related experience desired.
Be professional in all dealings with guests and co-workers. Identify problems and review information. Must be able to use math skills to solve problems quickly and correctly. Concentrate and not be distracted while performing a task. Must be able to multi-task. Anticipate guest needs. Be aware of others’ actions and reactions and understand possible causes.
Requires finger agility, grasping, writing, constant standing, sitting, frequent walking, repetitive motions, visual insight, and may, on occasion, have to lift and carry up to 35 pounds.